On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvo...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> On Thu, 2013-09-05 at 10:00 -0400, Kevin Gordon wrote:
> > Folks.
> >

> > I have a bunch of 1.5's that I purchased used from OLPC Miami that I'm
> > prepping to go out through OLPC Canada into the aboriginal
> > communities, and I've run into a rather strange issue.  Of the 40
> > machines, 27 of them re-image perfectly well and reboot wonderfully
> > both on F17 and F14 builds.  All 40 machines are flashed with Q3C07
> > OFW.  I can repeatedly, using any of my 10 build sticks, reflash ad
> > nauseam, and those 27 little beasts boot up perfectly.
> >

> > However, the other 13 always stall at the end of the pretty boot with
> > all the little dots on, and the icon in the middle of the screen.
> >  Doesn't matter whether F14 or F17 based builds, always the same
> > symptoms.  Hang/stall once all the little circle of dots stop
> > animating.  There are no SD cards or USB devices attached to any of
> > them, and the batteries are all charged up and the machines plugged
> > in.
> >

> I've found when I was fooling around with powerd's code and blew it that
> is what occurs, the video system doesn't switch from the DCON chip to
> using the cpu.
>

> > Being adventurous, i said to myself, let's do a check-mark key text
> > boot on these 13 to perhaps ascertain where it is is hanging up.  Of
> > course, when I do the text boot, the problem machines come up
> > perfectly every time, again regardless of whether an F17 or F14
> > machine.. When ltting it reboot without the check-mark key they again
> > stall.
> >

> Yes, the check-mark key turns the DCON off during boot, that is powerd
> job to do once booted.
>

> > The serial numbers for the machines have no pattern in this either,
> > some in the range go fine, others do not.  All machines are SKU 129.
> >

> > I seem to remember that there was a thread or ticket a while back
> > about this, but I cannot seem to locate it.
> >

> > Any ideas??
> >

> One of the first things powerd interacts with is the network card, I'd
> run the OFW's tests for wifi. On one of the problem XOs, once in sugar
> can you connect to an AP? Can you send me the logs from /var/log off
> list to have a quick look at?
>
> Jerry

Jerry, you're a troubleshooting genius.  Once I got into sugar from the
check-mark boot, I could see the AP's, but couldn't connect.

Alas, having that insight, this now became a probelm which I had seen
before and knew how to solve. :-)

Yep, as I'm sure everyone on the list will now giggle at me ... the hwclock
was set to 01/01/1963,.  once i did the date -- set, then hwclock
--systohc, all works wonderfully on pretty boot.

Thanks for the kickstart.  YAY !!!

Cheers,

KG