Yeah, I can see how you might think the .zip file is the same as the
.rom file, since they have the same version of firmware.

They are different packaging of the firmware.

The bootfw.zip contains within it a file data.img which was renamed
from q2f19.rom, and a file data.sig which is the cryptographic
signature for data.img.

The firmware opens bootfw.zip, reads the file data.sig, checks the
signature, and reads the file data.img, checks the version, and if
newer than current version begins a reflash.

The signature is critical to the normal firmware upgrade process.

Illustration:

$ wget [...]/bootfw.zip [...]/q2f19.rom
$ unzip bootfw.zip
$ md5sum q2f19.rom data.img data.sig
8ebeb4ada8d59c5031c48b60ecf0899b  q2f19.rom
8ebeb4ada8d59c5031c48b60ecf0899b  data.img
eea8805b8d965f4c8f93f8601d23c19c  data.sig
$ cmp q2f19.rom data.img && echo same
same
$

--