On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 3:19 PM, James Cameron <qu...@laptop.org> wrote:

> .xsession can work, if your subshell will give Sugar time to start,
> then copy environment variables from the Sugar shell process, then run
> sugar-launch.

James,
Thanks for the hints about timing, and environment variables. I'm inclined
to continue to explore .xsessions because I think I will have a better
chance to manipulate the mate desktop from bash, rather than from python
scripts down inside of sugar.

On the sugar desktop side, first experiments show that putting a start job
into the background, with sugar-launch, works.