On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 05:53:19PM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:
> qu...@laptop.org said:
> > The XO-4 display has a much brighter backlight.  It proved
> > impossible to find such dark LEDs as used to exist.

I was hasty.  Let me restate that.  Some XO-1.75 and many XO-4,
especially those produced last year and onwards, have a different
backlight.

Look at the BL manufacturing tag in the firmware SPI Flash to figure
out if you have the new backlight source.

https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/12854 has technical details.

> Do they take more power or are they more efficient?

Probably yes to both, but I've not tested.

(i.e. more power, more efficient, more lumens overall, more lumens per watt).

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/