On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_ander...@usa.net>
wrote:

> measure the parameters of the video stream produced by the XO-1 after
> conversion to ogg. Any XO should be able to sustain that level.
>
> One current browser practice is to stream media where the browser is
> capable. This is not suitable for an XO. The media should be downloaded and
> played locally. One of the customizations is to patch the Browse activity
> to automatically download mp3 (unless a short Talk English clip), mp4, pdf,
> epub, and txt files.
> In the case of the book formats, a user is not going to be able to read it
> while online. This patch is simple and effective.

Great suggestions, thanks Tony.  I'll add these to
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Browser_improvements along with your general
recommendation to avoid HD video (and broadband glitz in general...)

On 12/27/2016 03:52 PM, Adam Holt wrote:

Thanks Terry Gillett for accentuating this central point that I'd failed to
highlight -- now added to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Browser_improvements :

"*Perhaps Most Important: can we communicate concisely/explicitly best
browser & video "what works" guidelines, so that hard-working free content
aggregators/publishers (many of whom volunteers) understand their tight
packaging requirements across old Androids, old XO's, etc? Hence greatly
enhancing the XO's practical purposes during its remaining years~"*