Out of curiosity, is MPI_Ibcast_init (and friends) something that
will/might be part of the future standard ?

if you want to implement this as a MCA, then you have (at least) to
- add an Ibcast_init field (function pointer) to mca_coll_base_comm_coll_t
struct
- add a 'case MCA_PML_REQUEST_COLL:' in mca_pml_ob1_start
- ensure these request are progressed
- ensure these requests can be MPI_{Wait,Test,Probe!Request_free!Cancel }
and friends

note all coll components must initialize the new ibcast_init field to NULL
and all pml components should handle MCA_PML_REQUEST_COLL.

Cheers,

Gilles