Ok, thanks.

For clarification, the model we're using at the moment looks roughly like this:

orte_init();

forever () {
        if (do_our_stuff() == GAME_OVER)
                break;
        opal_event_loop(OPAL_EVLOOP_ONCE);
}

orte_finalize();

The simplest change for us would be something like:

orte_init();

forever () {
        if (do_our_stuff() == GAME_OVER)
                break;
        if (opal_event_loop(OPAL_EVLOOP_ONCE) != ORTE_SUCCESS) {
                clean_up_our_stuff();
                break;
        }
}