On Thursday 07 September 2006 18:42, George Bosilca wrote:
> I still wonder why we need any configuration "magic". We don't want
> to be the only one around supporting IPv4 OR IPv6. Supporting both of
> them simultaneously can be interesting, and it does not require huge
> changes. In fact, we have a problem only at the connection step,
> everything else will be identically.
>
> In fact, as we're talking about the TCP layer, we might want to
> finish the discussion we had a while ago, about merging the OOB and
> the BTL in one component. They do have very similar functions, and
> right now we have to maintain 2 components. I think it's more than
> time to do the merge, and move the resulting component or whatever
> down in the OPAL layer.
>
> I even volunteer for that. Next week I will be away, so I will come
> back with a design for the phone conference on ... well beginning of
> october.

Sounds the most reasonable solution for me. At the moment the TCP BTL would
have a problem in the case where a Open MPI jobs is spawned across multiple
cells where at least 2 cells have the same private IP address range. In this
scenario a process of one cell could think that a process from the other cell
is reachable.

That's not really an IPv6 specific problem but when we are thinking about
moving the BTL down to the OPAL layer we should take care about that. I'm not
sure if other BTLs have similar problems (e.g. 2 infiniband cells connect via
TCP).

Thanks,
 Sven