At one point, a long time ago (before anyone started working on the native windows port), I had unpatched OMPI tarballs building on Cygwin, using Cygwin's gcc. Which I believe is all Greg and Beth want to do for now. But I believe that the recent code to support Windows natively has caused some issues with our configure script when trying to run in that mode.

Brian