On further thought, perhaps I should be clearer. If you are saying that you
need to read the hostfile to display the cluster *before* the user actually
submits a job for execution, then fine - go ahead and call rds.query.

What I'm trying to communicate to you is that you need to call setup_job
when you are launching the resulting application. If you want, you could do
the following:

1. call orte_rds.query(ORTE_JOBID_INVALID) to get your host info. Note that
only a hostfile will be read here - so if you are in (for example) a bproc
environment, you won't get any node info at this point.

2. when you are ready to launch the app, call orte_rmgr.spawn with an
attribute list that contains ORTE_RMGR_SPAWN_FLOW with a value of
ORTE_RMGR_SETUP | ORTE_RMGR_ALLOC | ORTE_RMGR_MAP | ORTE_RMGR_SETUP_TRIGS |
ORTE_RMGR_LAUNCH. This will tell spawn to do everything *except* rds.query
so you avoid re-entering the hostfile info.

Unfortunately, if you want to see node info prior to launch on anything
other than a hostfile, we really don't have a way to do that right now. The
ORTE 2.0 design allows for it, but we haven't implemented that yet -
probably a few months away.

Hope that helps
Ralph