Something did occur to me that *might* help with the problem of detecting
when the seed is running. There is an option to orted "-- report-uri pipe"
that will cause the orted to write it's uri to the specified pipe. This
comes after the orted has completed orte_init, and so it *should* be ready
at that time for you to connect to it.

So you might try using that option when you kickoff the seed, and then
reading from the pipe until you get the uri back. Or you can just wait to
see when the pipe closes since the orted closes the pipe immediately after
writing to it.

There is still some stuff that the orted does before it accepts commands
send directly to it etc., but that shouldn't impact your ability to connect.

Let me know how that goes. If we need to do so, we can shift the timing of
that report-uri output so it comes a little later in the orted's setup.

Ralph