On Mar 1, 2007, at 9:01 AM, Ralph Castain wrote:

Hmmmm...only one question left unanswered - where do these "aggregate"
parameter sets come from??? Does a user create the file? Are we providing them somewhere? Are there sets that the sys admin provides that everyone on that system can use (but aren't to be used all the time via the conf file)?

Yes to all. Open MPI will ship with some of them, since each component in the system can create a file and have it included in the distro if they choose (a la the OpenIB AMCA file). The user can create there own to experiment with. And the sysadmin can create versions and place them in the $SYSCONFDIR/amca-param-sets directory or in a special location for users.

The idea was that anyone can create them just like the mca- params.conf file we currently ship. The only difference between the new Aggregate MCA Parameter Set file and the mca-params.conf file is in when they are used. The mca-params.conf file is always used unless the user overrides it. The Aggregate MCA Parameter Sets are an opt-in feature where the user must explicitly ask for a specific AMCA set when running a job. So the idea is that they would only need one additional command line argument to get a specialized set of MCA parameters for a specific application type or run. That is instead of N mca parameters that the user must mange.

-- Josh