Hopefully.  Was it IOF-related?

The error was that some in-flight IOF fragments (meaning that they had been read from the local source and were in the process of being sent across OOB) could be incorrectly removed from the list, later causing either a segv in production builds or, more reliably, an assertion failure in debugging builds.