On Jun 19, 2007, at 8:35 AM, Terry D. Dontje wrote:

Rainer Keller wrote:

Hello dear all,
with the current numbering in mpif-common.h, the optional ddt
MPI_REAL2 will
break the binary compatibility of the fortran interface from v1.2 to
v1.3
(see r15133).

Now apart from MPI_REAL2 being of let's say rather minor importance,
the group
may feal that the numbering of datatypes is crucial to the end user
and the
(once agreed upon) allowed binary incompatibility for major version
number
changes is void.

(The most important datatype that this change affects is
MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION:
users will need to recompile their code with v1.3...)

Please raise Your hand if anybody cares.

<raising hand>
Sun cares very much about this for the exact reason you state (Binary
compatibility).
I'd prefer this ddt is placed at the end of the list.

I think we should try to avoid binary compatibility changes at the MPI layer if we can, even between our "major" releases. Especially if they don't take lots of work. Now if only we would stop changing the size of ompi_communicator_t :).

Brian