Yes I use opal_show_help in other places but that is an all or nothing proposition. I think the ability to be verbose or quiet can be very usefull to end users and that is what I need at the moment.
-DON

Jeff Squyres wrote:

On Jul 9, 2007, at 9:58 AM, Don Kerr wrote:

You want a warning to show when:

1. the udapl btl is used
2. --enable-debug was not configured
3. the user specifies btl_*_verbose (or btl_*_debug) >= some_value

Is that right?  If so, is the intent to warn that somen checks are
not being performed that one would otherwise assume are being
performed (because of #3)?

#1 and #2 is just to convey the environment I expect the user to be
running in, not the error case. Interpretation of #3 is a little askew.
uDAPL gets its HCA information from  /etc/dat.conf. This file has an
entry for each HCA, even those that are potentially not "UP". Also it
appears the OFED stack includes by default an entry for "OpenIB-bond"
which I have not figured out what it is yet.  In anycase uDAPL has
trouble distinguishing if an HCA is down intentionally or if is down
because something is wrong. So the uDAPL BTL attempts to open all of the
entries in this file.

You might want to ping the OFA general mailing list or the DAT mailing lists with these kinds of questions...?

And the issues becomes how much information to
toss back to the user. If a node has two IB interfaces but only one is
up, do they want see a warning message about one of the interfaces being down when they already know this by looking at "ifconfig"? I think not.
But this could be valueable information if there is a real problem.

True. FWIW, in the openib btl, we only use HCA ports that are active (i.e., have a link signal and have been recognized/allowed on the network by the SM); we silently ignore those that are not active. We do not currently have a diagnostic that shows which ports are ignored because they are not active, IIRC.

Since its just one message at this point I think I will go with the base output_id and if I need more I will look to create a component specific
id.  Thanks Jeff.

FWIW, we always treat the opal_output_verbose output as optional output. If there's something that you definitely want to toss back to the user, use opal_show_help.

I expect to pursue this in order to find a better way to distinguish
between an interface that is up or down but I don't have a solution at
the moment.

-DON