I believe that the only problem with that procedure is that it automatically
connects the new application with *all* pre-existing applications. There is
no discrimination possible as your client doesn't know the server's jobid,
nor is there any way for it to "discover" that information.

So this is fine IF you want that mode of operation (i.e., all applications
running with a persistent daemon that call connect are to be fully
interconnected to all predecessors). Perhaps that is adequate, but it isn't
what was told to me as the desired functionality.

Of course, there may be something in the MPI code that corrects this
behavior. What I'm describing is solely what is happening at the RTE
level...which means, of course, that the contact info for all those procs is
probably being exchanged even if the MPI layer is ignoring some of it. ;-)