On Aug 13, 2007, at 4:06 AM, Pavel Shamis (Pasha) wrote:

Any objections?  We can discuss what approaches we want to take
(there's going to be some complications because of the PML driver,
etc.); perhaps in the Tuesday Mellanox teleconf...?

My main objection is that the only reason you propose to do this is some
bogus benchmark?

Pallas, Presta (as i know) also use static rank. So lets start to fix
all "bogus" benchmarks :-) ?

Pasha.

Why not:

   for (i=0; i < ITERATIONS; i++) {
      tag = i%MPI_TAG_UB;
   }

On a related note, we have often discussed the fact that benchmarks only give an upper-bound on performance. I would expect that some users would want to also know the lower-bound. For example, set a flag that causes the benchmark to use a different buffer each time in order to cause the registration cache to miss. I am sure we could come up with some other cases.

Scott