On Aug 24, 2007, at 9:08 AM, George Bosilca wrote:

By heterogeneous RTE I was talking about what will happened once we
have the RSL. Different back-end will support different features, so
from the user perspective we will not provide a homogeneous execution
environment in all situations. On the other hand, focusing our
efforts in ORTE will guarantee this homogeneity in all cases.

Is this a good thing? I think no, and we already don't have it. On Cray, we don't use mpirun but yod. Livermore wants us to use SLURM directly instead of our mpirun kludge. Those are heterogeneous from the user perspective. But are also what the user expects on those platforms.

Brian