On Aug 27, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Greg Watson wrote:

Until now I haven't had to worry about the opal/orte thread model.
However, there are now people who would like to use ompi that has
been configured with --with-threads=posix and --with-enable-mpi-
threads. Can someone give me some pointers as to what I need to do in
order to make sure I don't violate any threading model?

Note that this is *NOT* well tested. There is work going on right now to make the OMPI layer be able to support MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE (support was designed in from the beginning, but we haven't ever done any kind of comprehensive testing/stressing of multi-thread support such that it is pretty much guaranteed not to work), but it is occurring on the trunk (i.e., what will eventually become v1.3) -- not the v1.2 branch.

The interfaces I'm calling are:

opal_event_loop()

Brian or George will have to answer about that one...

opal_path_findv()

This guy should be multi-thread safe (disclaimer: haven't tested it myself); it doesn't rely on any global state.

orte_init()
orte_ns.create_process_name()
orte_iof.iof_subscribe()
orte_iof.iof_unsubscribe()
orte_schema.get_job_segment_name()
orte_gpr.get()
orte_dss.get()
orte_rml.send_buffer()
orte_rmgr.spawn_job()
orte_pls.terminate_job()
orte_rds.query()
orte_smr.job_stage_gate_subscribe()
orte_rmgr.get_vpid_range()

Note that all of ORTE is *NOT* thread safe, nor is it planned to be (it just seemed way more trouble than it was worth). You need to serialize access to it.