BTW, Here's the documentation I was referring to:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Versioning

Now, the problem Open MPI faces is that while our MPI interface rarely changes (and almost never in a backwards-incompatible way), the interface between components and libraries does. So that could cause some interesting heartaches.

Good luck,

Brian