It looks like Dresden took my config/ompi_contrib.m4 file from the htor-nbc tree and made some updates.

I like the idea of having ompi_info show the contributed packages and their versions, but just like the rest of the tree, it has to be done in a modular fashion. As it stands, in the vt-integration branch, there is still a bunch of VT-specific code outside of the ompi/ contrib/vt tree (e.g., in ompi/tools/ompi_info), and stuff like this:

OMPI_SAVE_VERSION([VT], [VampirTrace],[$srcdir/ompi/contrib/vt/vt/ VERSION],
                  [ompi/include/contrib/vt_version.h])

should not be in ompi_contrib.m4 -- it should be in ompi/contrib/vt/ configure.m4. *OR* (probably more preferably, so that ompi_info can reap the benefit), it should be done in a generic way so that ompi_info can see the version info for *all* contributed packages rather than being hard-coded for just VT.

Also, why is there a VT header file now in ompi/include/contrib? If you want a header file with VT's version in it, I think it belongs under the ompi/contrib/vt tree somewhere. If you want to install it to $includedir, that's a different issue -- it does not need to be outside of the VT contrib tree to make that happen.

I was really, really hoping that the *only* place that a contrib file would need to write into the main ompi tree would be the 2 places in config/ompi_contrib.m4 (and that that would someday be replaced when I/someone has time to do it in m4 properly, similar to how we do component discovery -- hence, contributed software would not need to touch *anywhere* in the main OMPI tree).