This issue was raised few months ago. This logo was created by our graphic designed based on his ideas and feedback from the initial Open MPI community (and of course his skills). The logo was released under the same license as the original Open MPI code, and can therefore be used in all circumstances.

If you want to thanks someone for spending time and creating all cool logos related to Open MPI (including this one), the guy you're looking for is our graphic designed David Roger.

  george.