WHAT: Bring new version of libevent to the trunk.

WHY: Newer version, slightly better performance (lower overheads / lighter weight), properly integrate the use of epoll and other scalable fd monitoring mechanisms.

WHERE: 98% of the changes are in opal/event; there's a few changes to configury and one change to the orted.

TIMEOUT: COB, Friday, 21 March 2008

George/UTK has done the bulk of the work to integrate a new version of libevent on the following tmp branch:

    https://svn.open-mpi.org/svn/ompi/tmp-public/libevent-merge

** WE WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IF PEOPLE COULD MTT TEST THIS BRANCH! **

Cisco ran MTT on this branch on Friday and everything checked out (i.e., no more failures than on the trunk). We just made a few more minor changes today and I'm running MTT again now, but I'm not expecting any new failures (MTT will take several hours). We would like to bring the new libevent in over this upcoming weekend, but would very much appreciate if others could test on their platforms (Cisco tests mainly 64 bit RHEL4U4). This new libevent *should* be a fairly side-effect free change, but it is possible that since we're now using epoll and other scalable fd monitoring tools, we'll run into some unanticipated issues on some platforms.

Here's a consolidated diff if you want to see the changes:

https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/changeset?old_path=tmp-public%2Flibevent-merge&old=17846&new_path=trunk&new=17842

Thanks.