I will have to correct something here. From what I can see, it appears the
MPI code may not be creating ompi_proc_t structures, but rather creating
arrays of ompi_proc_t* pointers that are then filled with values equal to
the pointers in the ompi_proc_list held inside of ompi/proc/proc.c.

It appears, though, that this may be done in a non-thread-safe manner. When
the arrays are filled by calling ompi_proc_world or ompi_proc_all, the
objects themselves are never OBJ_RETAIN'd. As a result, when the first
thread in the code calls OBJ_RELEASE, the object is removed from the
ompi_proc_list and free'd - but the other threads that called
ompi_proc_world/all still retain pointers that now reference invalid memory.

Perhaps the best path forward is to devise a thread-safe design for this
code area and present it for people's review. I'll see what I can do.

Again, comments are welcomed
Ralph