In btl_sm_component.c, mca_btl_sm_component_progress() polls on FIFOs. If it gets something, it has a "switch" statement with cases for send fragments, returned fragments (ACKs) to be returned to the freelist, and default/unknown. What's that default/unknown case about? What behavior should it produce? What assumptions does/can it make? Is this a panic code path that should never be exercised? Is it all right to let this code path break since it should never be encountered anyhow and the behavior doesn't even make sense? (Someone sent me something. They weren't supposed to and I don't know what to do with it. So, I'm going to send it back to them.)