I would like to add my 0.02 to this discussion.
The "code stability" it is not something that should stop project from
development and progress. During MPI Project live we already saw some
pretty critical changes (pml/btl/etc...) and as result after all we have
more stable and more optimized MPI. OMPI already have defined
workflow that allow to us handle big code changes without loosing  code
stability for a long period of time.  As I understand the btl movement
will make the code more modular and will open window for new features
and optimizations.
So if the BTL movement will not effect negatively on MPI performance and
code stability (for a long period of time, temporary unstability may be
reasonable) I do not see any constructive reason to block this
modification. If I understand correct the code will go to the
feature_oriented branch and we will have enough time to run QA cycles
before it will be moved to super_stable mode.
And after all I hope that we will get more stable,modular and feature
rich MPI implementation.

Thanks,
Pasha

Brian W. Barrett wrote:
I'm going to stay out of the debate about whether Andy correctly characterized the two points you brought up as a distributed OS or not.

Sandia's position on these two points remains the same as I previously stated when the question was distributed OS or not. The primary goal of the Open MPI project was and should remain to be the best MPI project available. Low-cost items to support different run-times or different non-MPI communication contexts are worth the work. But high-cost items should be avoided, as they degrade our ability to provide the best MPI project available (of course, others, including OMPI developers, can take the source and do what they wish outside the primary development tree).

High performance is a concern, but so is code maintainability. If it takes twices as long to implement feature A because I have to worry about it's impact not only on MPI, but also on projects X, Y, Z, as an MPI developer, I've lost something important.

Brian