Hi Ralph,

I'm entirely convinced that MPI doesn't have to save power in a normal scenario. The idea is just that if an MPI process is blocked (i.e. has not performed progress for -say- 5 minutes (default in my implementation), we stop busy polling and have the process drop from 100% CPU usage to 0%.

I do not call sleep() but usleep(). The result if quite the same, but is less hurting performance in case of (unexpected) restart.

However, the goal of my RFC was also to know if there was a more clean way to achieve my goal, and from what I read, I guess I should look at the "tick" rate instead of trying to do my own delaying.

Don't worry, I was quite expecting the configure-in requirement. However, I don't think my patch is good for inclusion, it is only an example to describe what I want to achieve.

Thanks a lot for your comments,
Sylvain