----- "Ralph Castain" <r...@open-mpi.org> wrote:

> Hi Chris

Hiya Ralph,

> There would be a "-do-not-bind" option that will prevent us from
> binding processes to anything which should cover that situation.

Gotcha.

> My point was only that we would be changing the out-of-the-box
> behavior to the opposite of today's, so all those such as yourself
> would now have to add the -do-not-bind MCA param to your default MCA
> param file.
>
> Doable - but it -is- a significant change in our out-of-the-box
> behavior.

I think this is too big a change in the default behaviour
for a stable release, it'll cause a lot of people pain for
no readily apparent reason.

I also believe that if those sites with multiple MPI jobs
on nodes are indeed in the majority then it makes more sense
to keep the default behaviour and have those who need this
functionality enable it on their installs.

Thoughts ?

cheers,
Chris