On Aug 17, 2009, at 3:23 PM, N.M. Maclaren wrote:

>Yes, BUT...  We had a similar option to this for a long, long time.

Sorry, perhaps I should have spelled out what I meant by "mandatory".
The system would not build (or run, depending on where it was set)
without such a value being specified.  There would be no default.

Gotcha.  I have another "but", though.  :-)

OMPI already has about a billion configurable parameters. If we *force* people to do something more than "mpirun -np x my_favorite_benchmark", then they'll say stuff like "we couldn't even get Open MPI to run" (I've seen people say that about other MPI's -- fortunately, I haven't heard that about Open MPI except where either OMPI legitimately had a bug or the user had something wrong in their setup).

We work in a very nasty, competitive community.  :-(