On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 06:45:07PM -0700, Eugene Loh wrote:
> Tim Mattox wrote:
>
>> Don't forget to also install a recent gnu libtool.
>>

> Lemme see:
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#build-tools says: "If you
> are building Open MPI from a tarball, you need a C compiler, a C++
> compiler, and make... You do not need any special version of the GNU
> "Auto" tools (Autoconf, Automake, Libtool)."
>
> So, that presumably means I *should* be okay.

>>> setenv CFLAGS      "-O -m64 -g"
>>> setenv CXXFLAGS    "-O -m64 -g"
>>> setenv FFLAGS      "-O -m64 -g"
>>> setenv FCFLAGS     "-O -m64 -g"

What applications. What programming language and compiler will be used to code
and build applications?

If Fortran then a Fortran compiler is needed in addition to a compatible C
compiler.
If the users wish to use the Intel compiler suite then the Intel compiler suite
is needed.
If the users wish to use the GCC compiler suite then the GCC compiler suite is
needed.
If the users wish to use the PGI compiler suite then the PGI compiler suite is
needed.
If the users wish to use the Pathscale compiler suite then the Pathscale
compiler suite is needed (RIP).
If the users wish to use the Open64 compiler suite then the Open64 compiler
suite is needed.
If the users wish to use the a fft lib then that lib needs to be compiled in a
compatible way (see Goto)
If the users wish to explore Python with MPI .... in a compatible way.
If hardware drivers are being built a compiler compatible with the kernel is
needed.
etc...

--
        T o m  M i t c h e l l