I think you are running into a bug that we saw also and we recently fixed. We would see a hang when we were sending from a contiguous type to a non-contiguous type using a single port over openib. The problem was that the state of the request on the sending side was not being properly updated in that case. The reason we see it with only one port vs two is because different protocols are used depending on the number of ports.

Don Kerr found and fixed the problem in both the trunk and the branch.

Trunk:      https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/changeset/21775
1.3 Branch: https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/changeset/21833

If you are running the latest bits and still seeing the problem, then I guess it is something else.

Rolf