On Sep 16, 2009, at 9:53 PM, Ralph Castain wrote:

WHAT: change the IPv6 configuration option to enable IPv6 if and only if specifically requested

WHY: IPv6 support is only marginally maintained, and is currently broken yet again. The current default setting is causing user systems to break if (a) their kernel has support for IPv6, but (b) the system administrator has not actually configured the interfaces to use IPv6.

TIMEOUT: end of Sept

SCOPE: OMPI trunk + 1.3.4

DETAIL:
There appears to have been an unfortunate change in the way OMPI supports IPv6. Early on, we had collectively agreed to disable IPv6 support unless specifically instructed to build it. This was decided because IPv6 support was shaky, at best, and used by only a small portion of the community. Given the lack of committed resources to maintain it, we felt at that time that enabling it by default would cause an inordinate amount of trouble.

Unfortunately, at some point someone changed this default behavior. We now enable IPv6 support by default if the system has the required header files. This test is inadequate as it in no way determines that the support is active. The current result of this test is to not only cause all the IPv6-related code to compile, but to actually require that every TCP interface provide an IPv6 socket.

This latter requirement causes OMPI to abort on any system where the header files exist, but the system admin has not configured every TCP interface to have an IPv6 address...a situation which is proving fairly common.

The proposed change will heal the current breakage, and can be reversed at some future time if adequate IPv6 maintenance commitment exists. In the meantime, it will allow me to quit the continual litany of telling users to manually --disable-ipv6, and allow OMPI to run out-of-the-box again.

Ralph