Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

I inquired the same of PGI. Dave Borer, PGI Customer Service Manager, responded:

I believe -fast and -fastsse are identical for 64-bit compilers, but there are some differences with 32-bit compilers. I don't think TCP/IP based MPI routines have better performance from optimizations, unless the processes are all running on the same machine. I will ask engineering how messages are passed when all the processes are running on the same hardware.

I am running on a 64-bit machine; I used -fast.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
ba...@usgs.gov