It seems to me that anything during your last update went wrong. Since r24803
the source file 'vt_filthandler.cc' is moved to the subdirectory 'old', so
actually if the source file doesn't exist the error message should be:

No rule to make target `old/vt_filthandler.cc', needed by `vtfilter-
vt_filthandler.o'.  Stop.

(I just tested it by removing the source file by hand)

Does the error occur also with a completely new checkout of the trunk?

Matthias