Tom,

This is because the code in OpenMPI presumes macros will be expanded in pragmas, but that is not required by the C standard.  (See my e-mails below from last year with PGI, TPR 17186.)  I fixed OpenMPI 1.4.3 configure in the attached patch.  My patch also disables inline assembly for PGI C++, the same as for PGI C.  (Something similar may also have to be done to solve Eugene's asm statement warnings on Solaris 11.)  It also fixes detection of support for marshaling Fortran REAL16 and COMPLEX32 data types.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608