Thanks.  That explains one mystery.

I'm still unclear, though. Or, maybe I'm hitting a different problem. I configure with "--with-openib" (along with other stuff). I get:

r26639:checking if MCA component btl:openib can compile... yes
r26640:checking if MCA component btl:openib can compile... no

I'll poke at this more, but just wanted to see if I understood correctly what you were saying.