Hi Sam,

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:08:59 +0000
"Gutierrez, Samuel K" <sam...@lanl.gov> wrote:

> I really appreciate your pointing me in the right direction. It turns
> out that on this particular system had /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf
> was set to 1. Changing this to 0 fixed the problem. I'm not sure if
> this is the best way of getting things to work, but is sufficient for
> my purposes.

Yes I think this is the best way to do it. The kernel side
implementation of CMA does the same permission checking as as ptrace
(checks to see if PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH would be permitted). A value of 1
in that config file only allows you to ptrace direct child processes,
whereas a 0 removes that restriction.

You still need to either have CAP_SYS_PTRACE (eg am probably root) or
have the same UID/GID as the target. So from a security point of view
the only extra risk you have exposed your system to are bugs that may
exist in the ptrace or CMA implementations.

Regards,

Chris