On the path to verifying George's atomics patch, I have started just by
verifying that I can still build the UNPATCHED trunk on each of the
platforms I listed.

I have tried two PPC64/Linux systems so far and am seeing the same problem
on both.  Though I can pass "make check" both platforms SEGV on
   mpirun -mca btl sm,self -np 2 examples/ring_c

Is this the expected state of the trunk on big-endian systems?
I am thinking in particular of
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2014/07/15365.php in which
Ralph wrote:
> Yeah, my fix won't work for big endian machines - this is going to be an
issue across the
> code base now, so we'll have to troll and fix it. I was doing the minimal
change required to
> fix the trunk in the meantime.

If this big-endian failure is not known/expected let me know and I'll
provide details.
Since testing George's patch only requires "make check" I can proceed with
that regardless.

-Paul