Odd - it used to do the right thing. Looking at the code, it certainly looks
like it is doing the right thing.

It's using the PMI id as for the first part of the key, and the stepid as the
second part. One possibility we've seen with Slurm is that PMI_Init can return
true, but actually fail. If that happens, they may not be getting a valid PMI
id.

One easy way to check the setting of the key is just to run a simple program
that calls MPI_Init and then does a printenv.