This message is mostly for Nathan, but figured I would go with the wider
distribution. I have noticed some different behaviour that I assume started
with this change.

https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/commit/4bf7a207e90997e75ba1c60d9d191d9d96402d04

I am noticing that the openib BTL will also be used for on-node communication
even though the sm (or smcuda) BTL is also available. I think with the
aforementioned change that the openib BTL is listed as an available BTL that
supports RDMA. While looking through the debugger and looking at the
bml_endpoint, it appears that the sm BTL is listed as the eager and send BTL,
but the openib is listed as the RDMA btl. Looking at the logic in
pml_ob1_sendreq.h, it looks like we can end up selecting the openib btl for
some of the communication. I ran with some various verbosity and saw that this
was happening. With v1.8, we only appear to use the sm (or smcuda) btl.

I am wondering if this was intentional with this change or maybe a side effect.

Rolf

contain
confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution
is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by