I also assumed that was true. However, when communicating between two
procs, the TCP stack will use a shortcut in the loopback code if the two
procs are known to be on the same node. In the case of multiple orteds, it
isn't clear to me that the stack knows this situation as the orteds, at
least, must have unique IP addresses and think they are on separate nodes.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 6:32 AM, Gilles Gouaillardet <
gilles.gouaillar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Though I did not repeat it, I assumed --mca btl tcp,self is always used,
> as described in the initial email
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gilles
>

> On Monday, January 25, 2016, Ralph Castain <r...@open-mpi.org> wrote:
>
>> I believe the performance penalty will still always be greater than zero,
>> however, as the TCP stack is smart enough to take an optimized path when
>> doing a loopback as opposed to inter-node communication.
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 4:28 AM, Gilles Gouaillardet <
>> gilles.gouaillar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Federico,
>>>
>>> I did not expect 0% degradation, since you are now comparing two
>>> different cases
>>> 1 orted means tasks are bound on sockets
>>> 16 orted means tasks are not bound.
>>>
>>> a quick way to improve things is to use a wrapper that binds MPI tasks
>>> mpirun --bind-to none wrapper.sh skampi
>>>
>>> wrapper.sh can use environment variable to retrieve the rank id
>>> (PMI(X)_RANK iirc) and then bind the tasks with taskset or helicopter