Thanks Nathan,

sorry for the confusion, what i observed was a consequence of something else ...

mpirun --host n0,n1 -np 4 a.out

/* n0 and n1 have 16 cores each */

runs 4 instances of a.out on n0 (and nothing on n1)

if i run with -np 32, then 16 tasks run on each node.

with v2.x, the --oversubscribe option is needed and 2 tasks run on each node

is this really the intended behavior on master ?
i mean, i am fine with detecting the number of slots automatically so --oversubscribe is not needed up to 32 tasks. my point is, shouldn't we have a different mapping policy in this case ? for example, allocate the tasks round robin, or allocate <total number of slots> / <number of slots per node> consecutive tasks per node ?

Cheers,

Gilles