Ralph,

in the meantime, and if not done already, your user can simply redefine
MPI_Bcast in the app.

int MPI_Bcast(void *buffer, int count, MPI_Datatype type, int root,
MPI_Comm comm) {
    PMPI_Barrier(comm);
    return PMPI_Bcast(buffer, count, datatype, root, comm);
}

the root causes are
- no control flow in Open MPI for eager messages (as explained by George)
and
- some processes are much slower than others.

so even if Open MPI provides a fix or workaround, the end user will be left
with some important load imbalance, which is far from being optimal from
his/her performance point of view.

Cheers,

Gilles