On Mar 23, 2017, at 5:25 PM, Kevin Buckley
<kevin.buckley.ecs.vuw.ac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> * I think the reasoning for me, is that if the SRPM is being used to create
> an OpenMPI that will supercede the RHEL/CentOS system's version
> then adding the module into a system area is the right thing, but if an
> admin goes to the trouble of "installing in opt" then clearly they want
> things "out of the way of the system", in general usage anyway and so
> having the modulefile in a place that requires them to take action for
> it to become available to the users is a "good thing".

I spent a few days pondering this, trying to remember what Past Jeff was
thinking when he wrote that, and talking to a few people about it (on the
phone, not email).

I think that Past Jeff was probably assuming that we want to put the modulefile
in the (usual) system location by default, regardless of where Open MPI is
actually installed on the rationale of making it easier for the sysadmin --
i.e., pretty much what you said, above.

But I think that Present Jeff tends to agree with your latter statement: if
you've taken the trouble to select install_in_opt, then we should wholly be in
/opt:

    https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/pull/3250