Hi,

on your system where compilation fails with mpif90, you can
mpif90 --showme ...
in order to get the gfotran command line that is used by the wrapper
then you can compare it to your own gfortran command line that is working,
and then try to figure out which difference is involved in the crash.

if you use the fortran module  (e.g. use mpi or use mpi_f08), then
keep in mind the gfortran used by the wrapper must be the same than
the gfortran used to build Open MPI : fortran modules might not be
compatible between different gfortran versions)

if the generated driver.F90 is simple enough, then you can post it to
the mailing list so some of us can have a look at it

Cheers,

Gilles