On Oct 15, 2019, at 11:05 AM, Gilles GOUAILLARDET via devel
<devel@lists.open-mpi.org<mailto:devel@lists.open-mpi.org>> wrote:

I agree we are not trying to run the binary here, but I am still puzzled here...

Basically,

gcc -o a.out foo.o -L/.../hcoll/lib -lhcoll

and libhcoll.so depends on libsharp.so (that is in /.../sharp/lib)

1) do you expect this to just work even if the linker has no idea where to find
libsharp.so ?

No, of course not.  :-)  That's what the additional -L was for.

2) if not, how should the linker find libsharp.so without relying on
LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is for the linker to use at run time -- I didn't think it was
used at compile/link time, is it?

jsquy...@cisco.com<mailto:jsquy...@cisco.com>