Larry,

There is no simple answer to your question as it depends on many, software
and hardware, factors. A user selectable PML (our high level messaging
layer) component will decide what protocol to be used to move the data
around using what hardware. At this level you have a choice between OB1
(which will then use BTLs to move data), UCX (which will use it’s own
internal capabilities, TLs), or CM (which will then default to an MTL, aka
specialized for each hardware). For any PML other then OB1, the steps
leading to the route selection is made internally by the software component
used by the corresponding PML/MTL, and OMPI has basically no control on the
decision. As a user you might be able to drive this decision using
specialized parameters for the underlying library, but as far as I know
there is no way to extract this information in a portable way.

Let’s now assume you use the OB1 PML, which in turn will use the BTLs to
drive the data movement. The decision on what BTL to use will then be
driven by the exclusivity, latency and bandwidth exposed by the
BTLs themselves. Some BTL will play nicely with others (aka sharing the
load between 2 peers, or allowing multiple instances of itself), while
others will prefer a more dedicated connection. One of the reasons OMPI
does not have a proper mechanism to expose the routing decisions to the
user, is this multiplicity of possibilities. The best we have right now is
the ompi_display_comm MCA, that will show you the initialized BTLs on the
run (which is a superset of what will be used). Try adding `--mca
ompi_display_comm MPI_Finalize` to your mpirun command.

Hopefully this answers your inquiry, at least partially.
  George.