Hello, thanks you guys for taking care of these things. I must say that "traductaire" sounds a bit weird in French, doesn't it? My personal way of making a text gender-inclusive is to alternate from one sentence to the other, or to write it all in feminin form after a footnote explaining the fact this arbitrary choice. In the case of po4a, I don't have any strong opinion, but I would really appreciate if someone finds a way to make it inclusive.
Thanks, Mt Le dimanche 14 janvier 2024 à 11:33 +0000, Jean-Christophe Helary via Devel a écrit : > > > > On Jan 14, 2024, at 20:18, Jean-Baptiste <[email protected]> wrote: > > > > I have never heard of such a word but I fully agree that we can be more > > inclusive. Would prefer a longer sentence including both genders, would it > > work for you ? > > When I both authored and translated the OmegaT 6.0 manuals, I tried to avoid > sentences where gender appeared. So I went back and forth between the French > and the English (which was also checked by a native - Canadian - contributor) > to fix most of the appearances of gendered nouns. > > For ex. I tried to mostly use “utilisation” and in a few cases where that was > not possible I used “la personne qui utilise” (and since occurrences were > few, it was not too weird). > > With OmegaT, the user is the translator, so it is easier the use the second > person and avoid gendered terms. In po4a translators are a third party, since > the po4a user is more generally the maintainer, so there is a significant > number of 3rd person occurrences of “translator(s)”, and even if in many > cases it would be easy to use “the translation” instead (and hide the > translator), that would involve the passive form and would not be super > elegant. > > I understand too that there is no rush and I would not mind if you removed > “traductaires” (I used the plural to remove the need to use le/la) altogether > for now. But I am sure that there are elegant ways to produce a natural > sounding inclusive French version, so I’m open for discussion. Professionally > speaking I’m also investigating a lot to make my translation sound natural > and the less gendered possible. There are ways to do that that do not involve > new artefacts (I actually removed a (e) in the current translation), it’s > just a matter of thinking of new ways to write. > > So, anyway, thank you for reacting to my changes, and I hope the rest is OK > with you. > _______________________________________________ > Devel mailing list -- [email protected] > To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part
_______________________________________________ Devel mailing list -- [email protected] To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
