At this point, I am for removing ati-drivers (fglrx) from our Live
images and force radeon.modeset=1 by default.
This won't break current installations nor new ones. Users will be
able to install ati-drivers and switch to them more-or-less easily (I
can write a quick howto guide on the wiki, or you can do that!).
The problem is simple: it is impossible to make both fglrx and radeon
coexist now that KMS is mandatory and given the previously mentioned
bug.

Current installations can be fixed by adding "radeon.modeset=1" to cmdline.
I am not 100% sure yet, but very close that this is the only viable
and reliable solution to the issue.

--
Fabio Erculiani