I tried Sabayon for gaming some years ago but only recently realised
all that it offers (after much searching and failing to find anything as
suitable but Gentoo which I ruled out due to the required compilation
resources and time necessary and that I can't spare).

I use and love OpenBSD but moved to Arch for desktops due to KMS and
faster package releases (mainly browsers) and slighlty easier upgrades
for a low number of systems.

With systemd apparently becoming a requirement for Arch users due to
packagers not wishing to support anything else (despite a devs
willingness to continue support for initscripts).  It seems Sabayon may
have much more appeal to me than Arch anyway, such as optional hardened
packages and much of Gentoo's power.

I would like to confirm though as I ideally want to stay clear
of the bloated (much pointless and more complex) systemd that Sabayon
will likely support Openrc for a long time if not forever even if the
default is switched before I invest some time in migrating installation
scripts etc..

I am writing a mail to the Arch list to let others know about Sabayon
(some have already left and a recent thread mentioned a will to keep
consolekit without systemd for as long as possible) and will include
the answer and any other pros and cons in comparison and welcome
comments anyone may have.

Here is it's current form, notice the line surrounded by question marks.

>  I'm sure I will
> have to switch to systemd on all my systems eventually, but I don't
> give up that easily ;-)

For those looking for more control with many of the plusses of
Arch you may want to check out Sabayon.

Pro's

Bleeding edge
many binary packages (>10,000) and the entire Gentoo Source repo
(>30,000)
optional hardened packages
absolute control (especially useful if you don't like all the
default flashiness and the rainbow of colors and graphics on the
console for a particular system)

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
openrc and systemd only if you choose it and likely to the end of time.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The advice is to stick to binary (equo) or source (emerge) but if you
are confident you can keep an eye on the versions and compatibility then
you can mix the two and gain all the power of Gentoo and it's USE flags
without unnecessary waste of energy, time and resources for compilation.

Cons

They recently dropped non-PAE kernel support though so a few pentium Ms
from 2005-2007 will not work (The system I happened to want to test it
out on so had to use an older one).

You don't start with a minimalist system but they have many iso
flavours, so one such as server or hardened server should suit as a
start, if that's a preference.

p.s. Aren't there many init systems in the Arch packages that may want
consolekit? I don't see why network manager should need consolekit for
most users though either.

Thanks,

Kc

universal interface'